Instructional Design ~ visually engaging
The dominant pedagogical paradigm is based on relying on texts or having the trainer present accurate information skillfully (and passionately) and having learners take full responsibility for processing, sorting, retaining and applying it. In this paradigm, the learner has to work very hard, but often enough, learners leave the space without learning the material.
Participants are selective about what they take in.
In a visually engaging instructional design and training approach, we have the opportunity to transfer learning to participants through exciting visuals that engage them with relevant learning activities.
This approach evokes the intelligence of participants, encourages trust and collaboration, and enhances the acquisition of a complex set of behaviors. The visually engaging approach focuses on the needs of all learners.
Rather than pages and pages of long texted material, visually assisted instructions are designed not only to be illustrative, but also with aesthetic appeal in mind that will influence your organizational visual culture.
Creating visually engaging instructional design and training processes is adjusted to your own needs. We might be writing your policy and procedures from scratch, or building on what you already have. While we work on your complete binders of policy and procedures that reflect your organizational operations, we can also start creating your visually engaging trainings.
- Undertake a pilot.
- Identify and decide on a few of the most crucial areas for training: those processes that are essential to the organizational operation (mission, guiding principles and values), especially those where the standards are not being met consistently.
- Determine the levels of performances in those areas:
- Determine performance standards.
- Carry out a preliminary performance analysis of current workers.
- Compare performance analysis results with performance standards.
- Develop a training script that is based on the preliminary phase with highly aesthetic visually assisted instructions and relevant engaging activities.
- Help trainers /coaches build the capacity to deliver the scripted material. Scripted material will focus on the integration of content and activities that will engage participants. The script takes responsibility for peoples’ learning. It has built in experiential activities and hands-on work which support participants’ learning.
Using what you have!
We can develop an instructional design and write your policy and procedures from scratch, or if you have a system in progress, we use what you have. Institutional and tacit knowledge of your employees provides a backbone for the script and a logical sequence. From there we can create a script and delivery system through which participants learn the materials (for example: workshops, PowerPoint presentations, videos, webinars, self-directed workbooks, etc.).
We can work with your aesthetics. We can use your already existing visuals as well as provide new ones:
- An existing inspiring video, which supports your organizational mission, vision, and values to help orient new employees and remind long-term employees.
- Trainings use highly aesthetic visually assisted instruction that fit your organization’s artistic culture.
- Trainings that involve slide shows and visual montage.
- Warm-ups, engaging activities and tasks which support learning.
- Trainings in which participants are actually taking the information in.
Depending on the importance and the difficulty of the procedure, we can decide how to approach your instructions designs and/or the trainings in various ways.
This approach will support your organization’s culture, innovation, and creativity.